Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Is it Potty Time??

I need some advice from you mothers who have potty-trained at least one of your kids already. Everett is 15 months old and the past few days he has told me "Poo" when he was going to poop, was pooping, or just right after he pooped. I see that as a sign for potty training but he seems way too young still. So, what are your thoughts on the situation or some other signs he needs to be showing in order to start this process???

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I am by no means an expert on this...I'm struggling with this myself. But I have been given some good advice that I'll pass on. My doctor said that you shouldn't try too early or they will start to hold it and cause constipation problems. I've also been told if you try too early it will backfire and will take them longer to learn. I've also heard that girls are easier to potty train than boys are. I've personally found it to be really difficult. But I know there are some kids who catch on at a really young age so he might be one of them. It probably wouldn't hurt to put him on the toilet and if he succeeds then you could decide if you want to look into it more seriously. Once you start I've heard it really helps to give them salty foods so they want to drink a lot. You just have them drink, drink, drink all day long. Just don't push him and he'll let you know when he's ready. Good luck! I'm open for advice as well, so let me know if you have any.

Christensen Family said...

Get the book "Potty Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. It tells you what signs to look for when your child is ready to be potty trained and then how to potty train them. It is the best book. When they are ready to be potty trained they do it fast. My son was potty trained in three days and my daughter in two. I don't recommend potty training while you are pregnant or right after the baby is born when you don't get enough sleep. You have to devote the whole time to potty training. Putting them on the potty every 15 - 30 min. Mom needs to be ready to potty train as much as the child does. Anyway. That would be my advice - to get that book!!! It works!!!

Amy Reeder said...

I had a cousin who was potty trained at 18 months old so I do know that it is possible! But you do have to devote all your time and energy to it that is for sure what worked best for me is that I set the timer and I put Braxton on the toilet starting every 15 minutes I would set the timer. Then if he did not go at 15 minutes then I would set the timer for another 5 minutes and put him on again. And then I would just continue to increase the time he was potty trained in 2 days the pooping issue to longer to work on. He would get so scared and then he wouldn't go so he would get constipated so I bought Miralx that is what my pediatrian recommended because they will not get addicted to it and it will help them learn that pooping is not that scary it worked for me. Good luck with it and if he is potty trained just don't get to upset if he reverts back to accidents when the baby comes they tend to do that. That is why I waited with Braxton he came to me and told me that he didn't like having a wet diaper on and that is when I started training. Call me if I can be of any help!

Love:Amy

Dave and KayDee said...

In response about my purple mud boots: he ordered them online from target actually. They are not really heavy duty, but they'll do for me ($20.00 is all they cost). Dave started working there in January and has really enjoyed it so far. I haven't enjoyed the past two weeks so much, he's been doing hay 17 hrs a day. I guess that's part of being a farmers wife? They have worked well with his school schedule though, so I guess that is a plus.

me said...

every child is so different justin was like 18 months a breeze trenton 3 matti done at arrival (hahaha) gracie 2. good luck to ya just don't be to hard on yourself about it.

The Winwards said...

I just bought Tayton a potty (the kind that goes on the toilet when he was about 16 months) and a little step. Tayton would pee everytime I put him in the bathtub, so when I saw him peeing, I would just hurry and put him on the potty. Then I just let him do his own thing, sometimes he wanted to sit on it sometimes he didn't. I never really pushed him. Finally when I thought he was old enough to understand (about 2 1/2, but each kid is different) I put him in underwear, no pullups or anything like that and never put a diaper on him again. It took about a good week but then he got it. He is even potty trained at night now. It is heaven. So that is my advice if it helps you great, if not sorry. Levi just applied for a transfer. There is an opening in Eureka, so that isn't too far from you guys. Hopefully he will get that job and we can see you guys.

Bingham Family said...

Congrats on being Pregnant! I should check your blog more often! I really don't have any advise that hasn't been said. I'm with the others you have to train yourself as much as the kid. That is the hardest part for me. Good Luck!