The day we moved to the ranch in Ruby Valley I noticed there was a humming bird nest on top of a wasp trap that was hanging outside our window in our kitchen area! I thought it was the coolest thing, because how often do you get to see a humming bird's nest and watch as she comes and feeds her babies! Plus, the day prior to us moving out here it was Rex's mom's funeral and she loved the humming birds coming around her house. So, to me, these humming birds were like having a part of Mom Nette right there with us for the first month of us living so far from our families at such a difficult time in our lives. I would get up every morning and have to go check and see if they were still there. As the time grew nearer for them to leave the nest, it was amazing that two babies could actually fit in this large marshmallow sized nest! I watched them be fed, grow, and practice their flying, but one day I went to check on them and they were no longer there. I was sad, but hopeful for this Spring to see more babies in the nest. I was sad when one night we had a major windstorm and the nest was ripped off the wasp catcher. So, I have put humming bird feeders out my back windows so I can at least watch them come to guzzle their delicious treat! Yesterday, I actually saw a Ruby-Throated Humming Bird come to the feeder and drink. I thought it was extremely cool since I have never seen one in real life and didn't know they were around here. I just love humming birds and think they are so cute! Here are some pics I took of our hummers last year when we moved in! Enjoy!
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Humming birds!
Posted by
Larson Letters
at
7:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Hey sis, I have some humming bird pics for you:
http://www.uvsc.edu/commorgs/PBETF/Costa%20Rica/album/Costa_Rica.html
Go to that site and go to the bottom (that's where the humming birds are). These pictures were taken a few weeks ago by a guy I work with
Shauna--
It's so fun to see what you guys are up to! We just started a blog, so please come visit! www.jowenfamily.blogspot.com
Jamie (and John and Tyler)
I love your cute little western shirt, you are so cute and crafty. When do you guys find out what you are having?
Post a Comment