Jalapenos are vicious peppers! Last night my neighbor and I did some salsa and we scraped and cut out the seeds of the jalapenos with bare hands. Well, about 20 mins later our hands were on fire! We tried scrubbing them with a pumice soap and that just made it worse. We put aloe vera on them and that didn't help, me at least, one bit. I had washed my hands, but everywhere I touched my skin it too would feel like it was on fire. I made Rex change Everett's diapers because I was afraid I would make his bum burn by doing so, he has a little bit of a diaper rash. Well, we went to bed and my hands still hurt but I was able to fall asleep, luckily. I woke up at 5 am to use the potty, because that is what 8 month prego women do and my hands felt fine!! Yea!!! Well, I get back in bed and my inside corner of my eye itched, so I scratched it. My eye was now burning, but my hands were fine. When I finally crawled out of bed this morning I decided to get the dishes done, my sink scrubbed out, and my stove top scrubbed so I could work on my pear jam, yummy! During my work, my hands came back on fire and were worse than before. I was pacing the house, flicking my hands, because it felt a little better, and trying not to cry. I was desperate. I got on the internet and found a few things to try to get the burning to stop. In the meantime, my neighbor called and I told her my dilema and she called her sister, who was married to a mexican and had rememdies for such a situation, and told me to wash my hands with rubbing alcohol or vinegar to get the pepper oil off my hands. Then, to soak them in milk. Well, before talking with her I had tried soaking them in milk and it didn't help once I took them out of it and I tried putting baking soda on them, which helped while it was on my hands, but once washed off it no longer worked. So, after getting off the phone I washed them in lemon juice, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. They felt a little better for a few minutes, but started to burn again. I then called my dad and he told me to put yogurt on them. That was nice until I washed it off. I then made a paste out of oatmeal and warm milk and rubbed it into my hands. That was very nice. Once washed off, they still hurt but not as bad. The best thing for them so far has been when I was peeling my pears to make my jam. The juice was very soothing. Then the steam and the hot from the stove hurt a little bit but after about 30 mins of stirring over the stove they were feeling much better. Maybe I burned my nerve endings enough to stop the feel of pain or it burnt the oil off my hands. I don't know. If anyone has had this same probably and found anything that works. Let me know!!!!!!!! Also, NEVER EVER mess with jalapenos or any hot pepper for that matter without rubber gloves on. Learn from my mistake please!!!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
geez! I love to eat jalapenos, but now I know to never do this! I hope your hands are now feeling better. I just wanted to say you are one ambitious gal, all this canning at 8 months pregnant! :)
Holy Cow Girl! Sounds like you were in some pain for awhile!! I am so sorry to hear that! YOu are amazing though making all of that stuff I am so in awe of you girl! I hope that I get to see you up North and I hope that you can make it to the show it will be fun! Barry Carter and I are singing a duet together so that should be pretty cool! I am excited he is so good I hope that I don't suck!! Hope to see you soon girlfriend!
How is your cute little family doing? I finally joined the blogging world! I love your post about Twilight. I was the exact same way! I just barely read them in June, and of course I got the new book when it came out! I love those vampires!
Wow, scary story! I have never worked with peppers before but thanks for the warning. Good job on doing so much canning, though!
Oh me goodness! That has not happened to me, but my mother told me when I made my first batch not to touch them very long. I'm sorry that had to happen to you. We are living with Blakes parents while we build again. You look so cute prego. Hope I see you before you have your little bundle.
Shauna! Oh that sounds horrible! What a girl! I wish I knew how to can. Your little boy is so handsome. I can't wait to see pics of the new little one coming!
Post a Comment