I don't know what it is about this time of year, Spring. I love all the new life; baby animals, new grass, new flowers, new leaves, etc., but it also makes me, I don't know, homesick and anxious for summer I guess. Summers for me were the highlight of my year growing up. That was the time my family and I would spend as much time as we could up to the lake and I loved every minute of it. We didn't take trips to other places each year like a lot of families, nor did we ever complain about it. Going to the lake was our family trips. So, every spring for as long as I could remember I have had this feeling. I don't know why I still get it. Things are different now than they were back then. I guess I have been feeling this way for a week or so now and I just couldn't put a finger on why I feel this way, but today I was reading my book for book club, Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg, and one of the characters said it best. So, I am going to quote it:
"That time. That place. That feeling. What he would not give to get it, to find it again for a day or even an hour, but he knew it was as impossible as trying to catch smoke in your hand. How could anyone know, when he or she was living it, that they would someday look back with longing, that these would be the good old days? No one tells us, 'This is the happiest you will ever be in your life.' Why had he wasted so much of it dreaming about going to other places? For the first time, Bobby realized the thing he missed most in the world was gone forever and he sat there and cried like a baby. He wanted his childhood back. He wanted to go home, walk down the hall, and climb into his old bed, and wake up with his future laid out before him on a red carpet. He wanted to go back to when a day seemed to last an eternity and the field behind the house was a vast expense that led to magic places and the swimming pool was a long and as wide as a lake. When your best friend was your blood brother and all the girls thought you were cute. He wondered whatever had become of the Bubble Gum King of 1949? That boy who was going to fly planes, jump freighters to the Orient, be a cowboy, and do so many wonderful things.
Nothing too terrible. He had just grown up."
Now I hope you all don't come off thinking I'm unhappy, because I'm not. I love where we are at at this time in life, but there are times when I just would like to go back to the carefree days of being a child. I think a lot of us feel that way at times in our life, so I guess that is how I feel during the Spring when I know Summer is coming and would love to live my days at the lake!
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
This time of year
Posted by
Larson Letters
at
1:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Oh my goodness what an adorable little family! I love living in the middle of nowhere to!! Your little guy is just so cute! Wyatt just turned one as well. Is Everrett walking yet? Wyatt just started and he is going like crazy it is so fun to watch them be so unsteady! Call me so we can catch up on old times or I will call you you. I love the blog!!
Hey girly isn't crazy how time flys. I cant believe your little guy is already 1 years old. Last time I saw you he was just little.
Totally get what you're saying! That book puts it so well, too. And I, too, am SO excited that Spring has made an entrance!! It is by far my favorite season.
I totally agree I miss every weeekend packing up and heading out only to play until we couldn't walk I wish I would have appriciated those moments just a little more.
I couldn't agree more and beautifully put. I feel this way more so during the holidays. Plain and simple: it just isn't the same. It's all very interesting. Although there are great things to enjoy about life now, I'm uber excited when Ryder is old enough to get excited for stuff like Christmas and summer vacations.
Oh, loved the birthday photos. Everett is adorable.
Miss you.
K so its just me and I am responding to you and yes this is my second comment on this blog. But I just wanted to say thank you I think the biggest obsticle for me is realizing that I am not alone and all girls feel this way. Not to worry you would never offend me by giving advice when I ask for it.
Post a Comment