Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Personal Opinion...

Some of you might find this blog to be heartless or you might even disagree with what I have to say and that is okay with me! I've heard a few people's opinions on the removal of all the children at the FLDS Compound in Texas and a lot of them have said that the state had no right to go in there and remove them all. I disagree. I have spent some time working with Child Protective Service workers (CPS) and their number one priority is to protect the children. It doesn't matter what race, religion, culture, or socioeconomic status you belong to, it is the same for all children. I think the CPS workers in Texas made a hard but needed decision when they decided to remove. One doesn't know how many other children could be being abused in that community, so they removed all to kind of see what was going on. Sure enough, they found many young women under the age of 18 that were pregnant. Sex abuse charges could be filed right there. As far as the physical abuse accusation, I don't know what they have found down there.
I just found out that the judge Barbara Wathers has ruled that the mothers can't have private prayer with their children or continue breastfeeding their infants. I know what a special thing it is to breastfeed and the bonding that takes place. It would be extremely hard to have someone tell me I can't do it anymore when i wasn't ready to give it up. I know though that once children have been removed, at least in the state of Utah, they can only have visits where they are watched all the time by a worker. Parents have a lot of influence on their kids and the workers need to get as accurate as possible interviews from them without parents trying to sway them from telling what is really going on. Also, they have that priority to keep the children safe and they can't do their job completely if they are giving private time to the moms and children. Who knows if the mothers could have been involved in the abuse that took place. If not, they could be charged with failure to protect because they knew what was going on and didn't stop it. So what if they think it to be okay and it is their religious views. If it goes against the law of the land, action will be taken. So, as hard as it would be to be one of the breastfeeding mothers, the workers couldn't possibly keep up with the demand of an infant and trying to be at every breastfeeding, to watch, what takes place between all mothers who are breastfeeding their babes. I guess this is where some of you might think me to be heartless because I agree with the judges decision. Yes, it would be sad if the kids were reunited with their mothers and they couldn't breastfeed them anymore, but the safety of the child is what is most important. If you have any comment on the situation, whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to comment. I will not be offended, because this is my own opinion.

4 comments:

Jazzy said...

Here, here. I agree. It's just not right. I saw a few of them interviewed on the Today Show yesterday...they didn't seem all to intelligent or really there. They were mad their children were gone and said it was a choice of theirs to dress the way they do and to do their hair the way they do. Apparently, Meridith found that shocking.

Matt, Nat, Hallie & Gracelyn said...

I totally agree as you can imagine working in the NICU I see many babies that go home with moms that are unfit I wish tat CPS would take more kids away.

Andi said...

I haven't heard much about the children being taken out of the compound, but I agree with you. If CPS feels that they should be removed, then there must be a good reason for it. They don't like to take children out of their homes if it can be fixed inside the home. They must have found something bad enough that the children were not safe inside the home anymore. Hopefully they will be able to find what is wrong and be able to fix it quickly and do what's best for the children!!

Elise said...

I also agree with you. I think it is horrendous that the children were living the way they were. After reading the book Escape it really opened my eyes about the abuse that is going on there.